Pork Satay with Sweet Coconut-Milk Glaze
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 6-inch wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 2 Pound boneless pork shoulder, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut into 4-inch strips
- 0.33 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1.5 tsp curry powder
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Asian fish sauce
- Cucumber sticks and lime wedges, for serving
- In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk with the fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, curry powder, salt and white pepper and whisk over moderate heat until the sugar is dissolved, 5 minutes. Pour the marinade into a large bowl and let cool completely.
- Whisk the condensed milk into the marinade. Mix in the pork. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Light a grill. Skewer the pork and brush lightly with the marinade; discard any remaining marinade. Grill the skewers over moderately high heat, turning, until the pork is lightly charred and just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer the skewers to a platter and serve with sliced cucumber and lime wedges.
Make Ahead: The marinade can be refrigerated overnight.
Recipe Credit: Kris Yenbamroong
Image Credit: John Kernick