Poached Pears with Prunes
- 2 Quart water
- 1 cup sugar
- 0.5 navel orange, with skin sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 6 large Bartlett pears, with stems peeled
- 12 pitted prunes
- 1 butter cookies, for serving
1. In a large pot, bring the water to a boil with the sugar, orange slices, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and clove; stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the pears and prunes and cook over moderate heat, turning the pears often, until the pears are tender, about 25 minutes.
2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pears and prunes to a shallow serving bowl. Boil the poaching liquid over high heat until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Strain the syrup over the pears. Serve warm or at room temperature, with the butter cookies alongside.