Pickled and Roasted Cauliflower with Curry
Serving Size: 8
Quick-pickling cauliflower in a curry brine before roasting adds incredible layers of flavor.
- 3.5 Pound cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 Quart distilled white vinegar
- 2.5 cup water
- 0.5 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 0.25 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Prepare a large ice bath. In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the cauliflower until just starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and transfer to the ice bath to cool. Drain again.
- In a large saucepan, combine the vinegar with the water, sugar, curry powder and 1 tablespoon of salt and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat, stir in the cauliflower and let cool completely. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Drain the cauliflower; reserve the brine to pickle more vegetables, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the cauliflower with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 35 minutes, stirring once or twice, until tender and browned in spots. Transfer the cauliflower to a platter and serve.
Make Ahead: The drained pickled cauliflower can be refrigerated overnight before roasting. Bring to room temperature before proceeding with the recipe.
Recipe Credit: Kendra Coggin and Baron Conway
Image Credit: Con Poulos