Picante Eggplant Roll-Up Recipe
- 2 medium eggplant (about 1 pound each), cut into 1/3-inch-thick diagonal slices
- 1 cup Pace® picante sauce
- 0.5 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaf
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 Pound ground beef
- 0.25 cup vegetable oil
- tortillas, pita breads or hot cooked rice
Heat the broiler. Place the eggplant slices onto a rack in a broiler pan. Brush with the oil.
Broil 7 inches from the heat for 10 minutes or until the eggplant slices are golden brown on both sides, turning them over once halfway through broiling.
Thoroughly mix the ground beef, onion, flour, garlic, cilantro and black pepper in a large bowl. Divide the beef mixture among the eggplant slices. Roll the eggplant around the filling and place seam-side down into a 3-quart shallow baking dish. Pour the picante sauce over the filled eggplant. Cover the baking dish.
Bake at 350°F. for 40 minutes. Uncover the baking dish. Spoon off any drippings.
Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the filling is cooked through. Serve with the tortillas.