Pepper-and-Spice-Rubbed Rib Eye Steaks
To enhance the flavor of this rib eye, the spice-rubbed steak stands at room temperature for 1 hour before it's cooked to medium-rare.
- 0.25 cup coarsely ground pepper
- kosher salt
- 2 1 1/4-pound, bone-in rib eye steaks
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1.5 tsp sweet paprika
- 1.5 tsp light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- In a bowl, whisk together everything except the steaks, salt and oil. Rub 1 tablespoon of the spice mix on each side of the steaks and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Season the steaks with salt. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the steaks and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until medium-rare, 6 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut the steak off the bone, slice across the grain and serve.
Make Ahead: The spice rub can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Recipe Credit: Marc Forgione
Image Credit: Con Poulos