Pearled Barley Salad with Apples, Pomegranate Seeds and Pine Nuts
- 0.33 cup pine nuts, preferably from Italy 2 ounce
- 0.25 cup plus 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced (2 tablespoons)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cup Thyme-Scented Pearled Barley (see below)
- 1 tart apple, such as Honeycrisp, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 0.5 cup pomegranate seeds, from 1 pomegranate
- 0.5 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the pine nuts in a pie plate and toast until golden, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- In a bowl, whisk the oil with the vinegar and shallot and season with salt and pepper. Add the Thyme-Scented Pearled Barley (see below), pine nuts, apple, pomegranate seeds and parsley; toss before serving.
Make Ahead: The salad without the pine nuts can be refrigerated overnight. Bring the salad to room temperature before serving.
Related Recipe: Thyme-Scented Pearled Barley
Recipe Credit: Grace Parisi
Image Credit: Tina Rupp