Pasta with Broccoli Rabe, Goat Cheese, Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Toasted Pine Nuts
extra-virgin olive oil
pine nuts, toasted
thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
dried whole wheat bow tie pasta or other bite-size whole-grain pasta shapes
fresh, creamy goat cheese, crumbled
chopped fresh thyme leaves
homemade Chicken Stock or good-quality canned low-sodium broth
freshly ground black pepper
1- to 1½-inch pieces garlic cloves, minced
broccoli rabe, cut into
- In a nonstick sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the broccoli rabe, garlic, and red pepper flakes and sauté, stirring frequently, until the broccoli rabe is bright green and just beginning to turn tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl, and set aside.
- Still over medium-high heat, add the stock to the pan and stir and scrape to deglaze the pan.
- Add the thyme.
- Bring the liquid to a brisk simmer.
- Add about three-quarters of the goat cheese and stir until it melts and the liquid has a creamy coating consistency.
- Cover and keep warm.
- As soon as the pot of water comes to a boil, salt the water.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente—tender but still chewy—following the manufacturer’s suggested cooking time.
- Drain the pasta and immediately add it to the pan of sauce along with the broccoli rabe and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring gently, until all the ingredients are heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the pasta among four heated serving plates or shallow pasta bowls. Sprinkle with the remaining goat cheese and toasted pine nuts.
- Serve immediately.