- 1 Pound day-old country-style bread, cut into several pieces
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 0.5 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 0.25 cup red wine vinegar
- 0.33 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 3 sprigs basil for garnish
Crumble the bread in a large bowl and add water to cover. Let soak for 15 minutes. Squeeze the bread with your hands and discard the soaking water. Place the bread in a medium bowl with the tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion.
In a small bowl, combine the garlic and vinegar. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Toss the dressing with the bread mixture, then garnish with basil sprigs and serve at once.
Recipe courtesy of Cucina Povera: Tuscan Peasant Cooking by Pamela Sheldon Johns/Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2011.