Oven Baked Ritz Cracker Onion Rings
Try coating your onion rings in Ritz Crackers for an easy and quick breading option.
- 4 cup Ritz Crackers
- 0.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 0.5 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp black pepper
- 2 large Vidalia onions, peeled
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet slightly with oil and set aside.
- Place Ritz crackers into a food processor and process into crumbs, or place in a sealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Transfer to a shallow bowl, add cayenne, and set aside. In another bowl, combine buttermilk, 2 tablespoons of flour, salt and pepper and set aside. Slice onions into 1/2-inch circles and separate into rings.
- Place the remaining flour in a sealable plastic bag, then add onions, and shake to coat. Dip onions 1 at a time into the buttermilk mixture, then into cracker crumbs and place on baking sheet.
- Spray cooking spray evenly over rings and drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until coating is crisp. Season with salt and serve with spicy ketchup or BBQ sauce.
Image Credit: Patricia Stagich