Orzo with Shrimp, Peas, Herbs and Feta
Serving Size: 4
- 1.5 cup shelled fresh or frozen peas
- 0.25 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 12 Ounce whole-wheat orzo
- 0.25 cup fresh mint leaves
- 0.5 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 large lemon
- 1 Pound medium shrimp (about 30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 Ounce feta cheese (1/3 cup crumbled)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the orzo. While the water is heating, if using fresh peas, steam or boil them for 2 minutes until crisp-tender, or thaw frozen peas. Rinse the shrimp and pat dry, zest and juice the lemon, and coarsely chop the basil and mint.
- Add the orzo to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes less than the time indicated on the package. Right after you add the orzo to the water, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dice the onion and cook until softened, 3 minutes. Mince the garlic, add to the skillet, and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are pink and nearly cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Drain the orzo, reserving ¼ cup of the cooking water, and return it to the pot over medium heat. Add the shrimp mixture, peas, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper to the pot and cook, stirring until combined and the shrimp is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the pasta water a tablespoon at a time if necessary to loosen the mixture. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil and mint.
- Crumble and stir in the feta cheese.
Image Credit: Quentin Bacon