Orange Lentil Salad with Avocado
- 1 cup green French lentils
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 oranges
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil divided
- 2 tsp dried mint
- 0.25 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Place the lentils, orange juice and 1½ cups water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes until tender.
- While the lentils are cooking, prepare the oranges.
- Using a sharp knife, remove all of the peel and the pitch of the oranges. Going along the edge of the orange, slice between the membranes to release each orange wedge. Place the orange membranes in a bowl and squeeze any juice from the remaining orange sections. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in a medium skillet. Add the shallots and cook until golden, caramelized and reduced. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Drain lentils and place into a bowl. Let cool to room temperature and toss with orange segments, remaining juice, 1 tsp. olive oil and pinch salt/pepper.
- Add in the walnuts and avocado.
For the full post, visit Delish Knowledge.