Open-Face Monte Cristos
For a quick and clever take on a Monte Cristo, griddle the ham until it's crisp, then pile it onto fried bread with cheese for a crispy, cheesy, insanely delicious sandwich.
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 0.5 Pound very thinly sliced ham
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp whole milk
- 4 1-inch-thick slices of Pullman bread
- 8 slices (1/2 pound) of Gruyère cheese
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- On a griddle, melt the butter. Cook the ham over moderate heat, turning, until golden and crispy around the edges, about 5 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk. Dip the bread in the eggs and cook on the griddle until golden on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip the bread and top with the cheese and ham. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted. Garnish with basil and serve.
Recipe Credit: Kay Chun
Image Credit: Christina Holmes