Ocean Blue's Mussels
Serving Size: 10
- 1.33 tsp chili flakes
- 2 onion, julienne finely
- 2 garlic, finely sliced
- 7 Pound mussels, PEI, cleaned
- 26.5 Ounce shredded chicken leg confit (see recipe below)
- 4.5 cup dry white wine
- 3 cup coconut milk
- 5 Ounce butter
- 7 Ounce pickled chilies (see recipe below)
- 0.67 cup cilantro leaves, picked
- 0.67 cup small basil leaves or micro basil, picked
- pieces of Rouille toast (see recipe below)
- Combine the chili flakes, onion, garlic, and olive oil.
- Toast the aromatics until soft.
- Add the mussels, chicken confit, white wine, butter, and coconut milk in a large pan enough to fit them in one layer.
- Bring the broth to a boil and constantly stir the mussels until they open on their own, slowly.
- Place in bowls and garnish with remaining ingredients
- 0.25 cup water
- 0.5 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 7 Ounce fresno chilies, sliced thinly crosswise into rounds
- Bring all ingredients up to a boil and cool.
Yield: 7 ounces chilies
- slices, baguette, 6” in length on a bias
- olive oil, as needed
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4.25 Ounce piquillo peppers
- 0.25 cup lime juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup olive oil
- Preheat grill to high heat. Brush the toasts liberally with olive oil and season. Grill on both sides until the bread is firm and has achieved a subtle char. Drain on paper towels and store at room temperature.
- In a food processor, combine the egg yolks, Dijon mustard, peppers, lime juice, garlic, and emulsify the oil into the mixture. Season with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Spread the rouille onto the toast and serve
Yield: 10 pieces toast
- 7 chicken leg
- duck fat, as needed
- thyme sprigs
- 2 heads, garlic, split crosswise
- Preheat oven to 275F if using convection or 300F if using still oven.
- Combine the ingredients and enough duck fat to cover by 1”.
- Place in oven, covered with foil, and cook until the chicken legs fall off the bone. This will take between 4-6 hours.
- Cool and shred the chicken leg meat, discarding the skin, bones, and cartilage.
Yield: 26.5 ounces