Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are a healthy, filling, and absolutely delicious! With peanut butter, banana, honey, and oatmeal, these yummy bars will keep you powered for hours. These breakfast bars are easy to make, can be frozen for up to four months, and are great for snacks too.
- 2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 0.5 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter (creamy or crunchy—used natural creamy)
- 3 Tbsp honey or agave
- 1.5 cup milk (used unsweetened vanilla almond, but any kind will do nicely)
- 0.25 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 0.5 large banana, quartered and diced
- Place rack in the center reheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat an 8x8 inch square pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. In a separate large bowl, combine the milk, applesauce, egg, honey, peanut butter and vanilla.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and stir to combine. The batter will be very wet. Fold in the diced banana, then pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until thickened and golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool, cut into bars, and serve.
Notes: Once cooled, bars can be wrapped individually in plastic and kept in the refrigerator for 5 days or frozen in a zip-top bag for up to 4 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours before serving. For a larger yield, increase the ingredient quantities by 1.5 and bakes in a 9x13 inch pan for 25-30 minutes.
For the full post, visit Well Plated by Erin.