New Orleans Red Beans and Rice with Pickled Peppers
Serving Size: 4
- 4 Ounce thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans
- 0.25 cup chopped Peppadew peppers, plus more for garnish
- 1 pickled jalapeno, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inner celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- steamed white rice, for serving
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, celery, garlic, pickled jalapeño and 1/4 cup of Peppadews and cook, stirring, until softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the beans with their liquid and the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the liquid is slightly reduced, 8 minutes. Season the beans with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the beans into bowls and top with a mound of rice. Garnish with more Peppadews and serve right away.