Mushroom Barley Soup
- Ounce white mushroom, rinsed and sliced
- 1 Tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 0.25 cup barley, rinsed
- 4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 cup carrots, finely sliced
- 1 stalk celery, rinsed and fine dice
- 2 Tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot and add in the mushrooms, onion, celery and carrots. Sweat until the vegetables start to soften; approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, then add the vegetable broth and barley; mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1-1 1/4 hours or until the barley has fully expanded. Season with salt and pepper.
*Nutritional Information per Cup: Calories 108, Carbs 15.5g, Fat 4g, Protein 3.8g, Fiber 3.2g