Moroccan-Spiced Roasted Heirloom Cauliflower Salad
"It was one of those recipes where I mumble, 'Oh my gosh, it's so good' through my first bite," share Sonja and Alex of this Blue Apron recipe.
For the full post and to receive $20 off your Blue Apron purchase, visit A Couple Cooks.
- 0.5 cup cracked freekeh
- 3 Tbsp Marcona almonds
- 3 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 large bunch, mint
- 1 lemon
- 1 head heirloom cauliflower
- 1 head lollo rosso lettuce
- 2 Ounce watercress
- 3 Ounce crème fraîche
- 1 tsp ras el hanout
- Prepare the ingredients: Preheat the oven to 500°F. Heat a small pot of salted water to boiling on high. Wash and dry the fresh produce. Remove and discard the core of the cauliflower; cut the head into small florets. Using a peeler, remove the yellow rind of the lemon, avoiding the white pith; mince the rind to get 2 teaspoons of zest. Quarter the lemon and remove the seeds. Pick the mint leaves off the stems; discard the stems. Roughly chop the almonds.
- Cook & dress the freekeh: Once the pot of water is boiling, add the cracked freekeh. Cook 18 to 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain thoroughly and return to the pot. Stir in the juice of 3 lemon wedges and a drizzle of olive oil; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Roast the cauliflower: While the freekeh cooks, place the cauliflower on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and the ras el hanout. Toss to coat and arrange in a single, even layer. Roast, stirring halfway through, 14 to 16 minutes, or until browned.
- Toast the almonds: While the freekeh continues to cook and the cauliflower roasts, heat a small, dry pan on medium-high until hot. Add the almonds and toast, stirring frequently, 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Make the salad dressing: While the freekeh continues to cook and the cauliflower continues to roast, in a small bowl, combine the lemon zest, crème fraîche, the juice of the remaining lemon wedge and 1 tablespoon of water; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the salad dressing & plate your dish: In a large bowl, combine the lollo rosso lettuce (removing the root end just before using), watercress, roasted cauliflower, dressed freekeh, mint, dried cranberries and toasted almonds. Add enough of the salad dressing to coat the greens (save the rest for garnish) and toss gently to mix; season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide between 2 plates and garnish with a drizzle of the remaining salad dressing. Enjoy!
Compensation for this post was provided by Blue Apron via AOL Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Blue Apron or AOL.