Mojito Chocolate Chip Cookies
This recipe mash-up combines the best elements of mojitos and chocolate chip cookies in one! The lime zest adds beautiful green flecks to an otherwise seemingly average cookie. Serve these at your next cocktail party for a sweet surprise.
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.75 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chip
- 2 Tbsp lime zest
- 2 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 4 Tbsp dark rum
- 0.5 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 0.75 cup vegan margarine
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
To make the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 or 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat margarine until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, brown sugar, rum, and mint extract, and beat until combined. Mix in the flour mixture ½ cup at a time, then add zest and chocolate chips. Mix until combined.
- 0.5 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lime, zested
To make the topping:
- Combine sugar and lime zest in a small bowl.
- To bake the cookies: Scoop about 1 rounded tablespoon of dough at a time, and roll each scoop in the topping. Place on the prepared baking sheets, dome side up, leaving about 2 inches between each scoop. For crisper cookies, gently flatten the dough with the palm of your hand. For softer cookies, leave the scoop as is. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Let cool on the pan.
Makes about 46 2 1/2-inch cookies