Mixed Grill with Roasted-Garlic-And-Pepper Salsa
Serving Size: 8
This chunky, grilled garlic salsa, made with baby peppers, cilantro and lime juice, is an ideal flavor match with simply grilled meats and poultry.
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 3 Pound assorted sausages
- 8 half-sour pickles (1 pound), halved lengthwise
- 0.33 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 6 Ounce mixed small sweet and hot peppers, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 heads of garlic, halved crosswise
- fresh ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- 1 Pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 5 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 0.5 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 Tbsp crushed red pepper
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Light a grill. In a very large bowl, whisk the oregano and crushed red pepper with the 1/2 cup of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with a few tablespoons of the mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the large bowl and toss to coat.
- On a sheet of heavy-duty foil, drizzle the garlic with oil; wrap tightly. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Grill the chicken and garlic packet over moderate heat, turning, until the chicken is cooked through and the garlic is tender, 40 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter; keep warm.
- Unwrap the garlic and let cool slightly, then squeeze the cloves into a medium bowl. Stir in the peppers, cilantro and the remaining 3 tablespoons of lime juice.
- Brush the grill grates with oil. Arrange the shrimp, pickles and sausages on the grill. Grill until the pickles are lightly charred and the shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 minutes; transfer to the platter. Grill the sausages for 10 minutes, turning, until well-browned all over and cooked through. Add them to the platter. Serve with the salsa and lime wedges.
Recipe Credit: Kay Chun
Image Credit: John Kernick