Mexican Tortilla Soup
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 2 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 carton Swanson® Mexican Tortilla Flavor Infused Broth
- 1 Can can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained or 3 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 0.5 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 large jalapen?o peppers, seeded and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- tortilla chips or strips
- Heat the oil in a 6-quart saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and peppers and cook for 2 minutes or until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomato paste, corn, beans, tomatoes, broth and chicken and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve topped with the crushed tortilla chips or strips.
Serving Suggestion: Customize your soup with your favorite toppings! Try diced avocado, sour cream and/or chopped fresh cilantro. Serve with lime wedges on the side to add a twist of citrus.
Alternate Preparation: You can substitute 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into cubes, for the cooked chicken. In Step 1, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Add the onion and peppers and proceed as directed above.