Matzoh Balls in Brodo
- 1 large egg
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic clove, lightly crushed
- 6 cup vegetable stock or low-sodium broth
- 0.25 cup matzo meal
- 0.125 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 0.125 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tbsp fresh ricotta cheese
- tarragon leaf, for garnish
- In a bowl, whisk the egg. Whisk in both cheeses, the oil, salt and pepper. Stir in the matzoh meal. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes, then gently form into 1-teaspoon-size balls.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the stock to a boil with the garlic. Add the matzoh balls, cover and simmer over moderate heat for 30 minutes. Add the carrot, cover and simmer until the carrot is tender and the matzoh balls are puffed and light, about 10 minutes longer. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with tarragon and grated cheese.
Recipe Credit: Kay Chun
Image Credit: Johnny Miller