Malted Buttercream and Dark Chocolate Buttercream
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1.5 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 4 stick butter, at room temperature 1 pound unsalted
- 0.25 cup malt powder, dissolved in 2 tablespoon of hot water
- 12 malted milk balls, crushed
1. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, combine the egg whites and sugar. Set the bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk until the sugar is dissolved and the egg whites are just warm to the touch. Return the bowl to the mixer fitted with the whisk. Add the vanilla and beat the egg whites at high speed until firm and glossy, about 5 minutes. With the machine on, whisk in the butter a few tablespoons at a time. If the mixture begins to look curdled, continue to beat until smooth before adding more butter. Transfer 1 1/2 cups of the buttercream to a bowl and whisk in the melted chocolate. Beat the dissolved malt powder into the remaining buttercream, then beat in the milk balls.