Macaroni And Cheese
To me, there's nothing more comforting or universally crowd-pleasing than mac and cheese. It's a staple at our home year-round, and apparently at many other homes too. SO for all the readers of Deceptively Delicious that asked for another version, here it is!
- 1 Pound whole-wheat pasta, such as elbows or shells
- 0.25 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 0.5 cup carrot or sweet potato puree
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat (2 percent) cheddar cheese
- 2.5 cup nonfat (skim) milk
- 1.5 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente.
- Preheat the over to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a 9 x 12-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat the margarine in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Whisk in the flour to combine. Slowly whisk in milk top prevent lumps from forming. Bring to a boil and cook until the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the cheddar cheese, salt and carrot puree. Whisk until smooth. Stir the cheese mixture into the pasta.
- Transfer to a baking dish. Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Bake until the macaroni and cheese is bubbly and the breadcrumbs begin to brown. 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Jessica Seinfeld's Double Delicious.
Photo courtesy of Lisa Hubbard