Little Gem Lettuce with Roasted Beets and Feta Dressing
“Traditional Moroccan dishes can be quite heavy; I'm always looking for ways to make them lighter and brighter,” says cooking school teacher Tara Stevens. She tosses her beet salad with lettuce and tangy feta-yogurt dressing, and adds lots of fresh herbs.
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 2 heads of Little Gem or baby romaine lettuce (10 ounces)
- 0.5 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 0.75 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
- 4 beets (2 pounds), peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt
- mint, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over low heat until fragrant, 2 minutes; let cool.
- In a mortar, coarsely grind the cumin seeds with the salt. Transfer to a bowl and add the beets, onions and olive oil; toss to coat. Scrape the vegetables onto a rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until tender. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, whisk the lemon juice and honey. In another bowl, mix the feta, yogurt and lemon zest so it remains a bit chunky. Season with pepper.
- Arrange the lettuce on plates. Top with the beets and onions and drizzle the lemon honey on top. Dollop the feta dressing on the salad; season with pepper. Garnish with cilantro and mint and serve.
Make Ahead: The roasted beets can be refrigerated overnight.
Recipe Credit: Tara Stevens
Image Credit: Con Poulos