Lentils with Red Wine and Herbs
- 1.5 cup French green lentils, 12 ounce
- 0.25 cup chopped cilantro
- 0.25 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 mâche, 2 ounce or arugula
- 1 Tbsp crème fraîche
- 0.5 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup baby spinach, 2 ounce
- 0.25 cup dry red wine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
1. In a large saucepan, cover the lentils with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Season with salt and simmer over moderate heat until tender, 40 minutes. Drain the lentils.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the red onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the lentils and the wine and simmer until the wine has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and stock and cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche. Add the mâche, parsley and cilantro and cook until barely wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.