Lentil and Barley Summer Salad
Serving Size: 2
Lentils and barley aren’t just for the colder months! They’re cooked until soft and tossed with fresh corn, scallions, basil, green beans, and bell peppers in a summery balsamic-lemon vinaigrette.
- 3 Ounce barley
- 0.5 Ounce basil
- 2 scallions
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 Ounce green beans
- 1 ears corn
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 0.5 cup lentils
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Fill a large pot with water. Add the barley and lentils and set on the stove. Boil, as you would pasta, for 20 minutes or until the barley and lentils are tender. Add a generous pinch of salt halfway through the cooking process.
- Mince the garlic, halve the green beans, slice the scallions, and cut off the kernels off the corn cob. Remove the seeds and white veins from the peppers and thinly slice. Finally, tear the basil leaves.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in 2 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the green beans and cook, tossing, for about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the corn and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Once the barley and lentils are cooked, drain and rinse with cold water. Add to the bowl with the dressing with the green beans, corn, peppers, basil, and scallions.
- Finish: Toss the salad and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper as necessary. Serve.