Lemon, Parsley and Parmesan Plus Bread, Prosciutto and Egg
It's not quite an egg sandwich and not quite a strata, but no matter how you slice it, this toasty egg, cheese, and prosciutto recipe makes an irresistible meal.
This dish is a good use for day-old baguette or leftover Italian bread.
- 1 baguette (15 inches long)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp whole milk
- 0.25 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 0.5 grated Parmesan cheese
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices thinly sliced prosciutto (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice 1/4 inch off the top of the bread, and hollow out bottom, discarding the crumb (soft interior) of the loaf. Cut top into 1-inch pieces, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, zest, milk, parsley, and Parmesan. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup bread pieces.
- Place hollowed-out bread on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place prosciutto slices along inside of bread to cover. Slowly pour egg mixture to the brim. Bake until eggs are puffed up and cooked through, 30 to 33 minutes.
- Slice into 2-inch pieces. Serve immediately.
48 Healthy Afternoon Snacks You'll Dream About All Day
The Science Behind the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
35 Beyond Delicious No-Bake Dessert Recipes
Quick, One-Pot Meal Ideas To Feed the Whole Family
15-Minute Dinner Recipes for Everyone
You've Never Seen Avocado Toast Like This
Photography: Hans Gissinger