Lemon Balm Honeysuckle
Cabell Tomlinson, bar director at Frankies 570 Spuntino in New York City, grew up in the South, where, she says, "the summer air was scented with honeysuckle and lemon balm." Those childhood memories, along with a recipe for the classic Bee's Knees cocktail (rum, lime, and honey), inspired this thirst-quencher. It's equally good with lemon vodka (try Charbay Meyer Lemon Vodka) or white rum (we like Flor de Caña Extra Dry 4 Year). Lemon balm is available at many farmers' markets. Better yet, try planting pots of the prolific herb in your backyard.
- 6 Tbsp honey
- 2 cup lemon vodka or white rum
- 0.75 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup (loosely packed) fresh lemon balm leaves or mint leaves
- 8 slices lemon
- Stir honey and 6 tablespoons hot water in a large pitcher until honey is dissolved. Stir in vodka and lemon juice. Add 2 cups ice cubes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Squeeze lemon balm several times to lightly bruise leaves; add to pitcher. Fill Old Fashioned glasses with ice cubes. Divide cocktail among glasses. Garnish with lemon slices and serve.
Image Credit: Ashley Rodriguez
Recipe courtesy of: Cabell Tomlinson, Frankies 570 Spuntino, New York, New York