- 4 Ounce shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- toasted sesame oil, for frying
- canola oil, for frying
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1.5 cup whole milk
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1.5 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 Ounce cleaned small squid—tentacles halved, bodies sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rings
- 1 cup kimchi, drained and chopped
- In a medium saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the shrimp until almost white throughout, 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a bowl of ice water. Add the calamari to the saucepan and cook until white, 30 seconds; drain and transfer to the ice water. Drain the seafood and pat dry; cut the shrimp into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour with the salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add the milk and eggs; whisk until smooth. Fold in the seafood.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon each of the canola and sesame oils. For each flapjack, ladle 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet, leaving space between them. Scatter some kimchi on top, pressing gently, and cook over moderate heat until bubbles start to appear on the surface and the edges are golden, about 3 minutes. Flip the flapjacks, add another tablespoon of canola oil to the skillet and cook until golden and crisp on the bottom, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter.
Recipe Credit: John Gorham
Image Credit: Tara Fisher