Kale Salad with Root Vegetables and Apple
This refreshing, super healthy salad is a great way to showcase kale; massaging the leaves with vinegar, salt and olive oil makes them tender and sweet.
- 2 Pound curly kale, stemmed and leaves thinly sliced
- 1 cup peeled and julienned rutabaga
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and julienned
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 Tbsp agave syrup
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 0.25 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt
- 0.25 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, massage the kale with the vinegar, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the lemon zest and juice, soy sauce, syrup and remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the carrot, apple, rutabaga and scallions with the kale. Add the dressing and toss again. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Recipe Credit: Marcus Samuelsson
Image Credit: Paul Costello