Jump-Start Your Day Breakfast Burritos
My Jump-Start Your Day Breakfast Burritos are a hearty and nutritious meal to jump-start your day and set you on the right path for healthy eating all day long. And the best part is that if you’re not a morning person, you can prepare a whole batch of them ahead of time and freeze them. Then when you want to eat one, you just unwrap, pop it in the microwave and take it to go!
Each of my breakfast burritos includes 2 egg whites but only 1 yolk to give you a good amount of protein without too much cholesterol. I also use sautéed vegetables including nutrient-packed red bell peppers, which are an excellent source of Vitamin C and also contain high levels of Vitamins A, E, K and B-complex vitamins as well as the antioxidant lycopene. For an extra boost of protein and fiber, I also include nutritious black beans. For added flavor I top the eggs with a small amount of reduced fat cheese and salsa, which is a great nutritious, low calorie condiment. If you like extra spice, pour on some of your favorite hot sauce before you wrap it up.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 0.75 cup scallion
- 6 (9-inch) whole grain wrap (I used La Tortilla Factory Smart Delicious Whole Grain Soft Wraps)
- 0.5 cup whole-grain wrap
- 6 shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tsp egg
- 1 cup canned black bean, drained and rinsed
- canned black beans
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 0.25 cup sliced scallion
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers to the skillet and season them with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 7-8 minutes. Stir in the beans and chili powder and cook another 2-3 minutes until heated through. Pour the contents of the skillet into a bowl and set aside. Wipe the skillet clean.
- Whisk the eggs and egg whites together in a large bowl along with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Spray the skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook them, stirring occasionally, until soft curds form. Stir in the cheese and cook another minute until melted. Remove from heat.
- Spread each tortilla with equal amounts of the veggie/bean mixture and top with the scrambled eggs. Spread 2 tablespoons salsa, some sliced scallions and hot sauce (if using) on top. Roll the tortillas up burrito style- fold the side closest to you over the filling, then fold both sides in toward the center and roll up. Serve alone or with reduced fat sour cream, if desired.
- If not eating right away, wrap each burrito in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and freeze. To reheat, unwrap and microwave until warm, about 2 minutes, turning over halfway through. For a crispier wrapping, heat in the microwave, then bake in a 450° oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
Read more from The Foodie Physician.