Jumbo Strawberry-and-Rhubarb Muffins
When farmers' markets are in full swing, cookbook author and hunter Georgia Pellegrini loves making these jumbo sugar-topped muffins with fresh strawberries and rhubarb.
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1.75 cup diced fresh rhubarb
- 1.75 cup diced strawberries
- 1.5 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 plus 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 0.75 cup turbinado sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 375° and position the rack in the lower third of the oven. Coat 6 jumbo muffin cups with nonstick baking spray. In a large bowl, mix the flour with the 3/4 cup of sugar, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another large bowl, beat the butter with the eggs until well combined. Fold in the dry ingredients and buttermilk in 2 alternating additions, then fold in the diced strawberries and rhubarb and the grated lemon zest.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle the tops generously with sugar. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Transfer the muffins to a rack to cool before serving.
Make Ahead: The muffins can be stored in an airtight container overnight. Reheat for 5 minutes in a 375° oven.
Recipe Credit: Georgia Pellegrini
Image Credit: Cedric Angeles