"Think fried rice meets pizza," says Chicago chef Grant Achatz, who makes this crazy-fun dish for dinner with his kids. You can pick your toppings, he says, but the most important one is the Manchego cheese, which has a flavor profile that's similar to miso.
- 2.5 Ounce shiitake mushrooms—stemmed, caps thinly sliced
- 6 shiso leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup large bonito flakes
- toasted white and black sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- togarashi, for sprinkling
- kosher salt
- 0.5 cup soy bean sprout
- 5 Ounce Manchego cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 0.33 cup shelled edamame
- 2 tsp unagi sauce (optional)
- 5 Ounce firm tofu, sliced
- 3 cup cooked sushi rice
- 0.5 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 0.25 cup cilantro leaf
- Preheat the oven to 375º. In a bowl, toss the mushrooms and soy sauce. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain.
- In a 9-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat the oils. Press the rice into the skillet, about 1/4 inch thick. Cook over moderately high heat until the bottom is golden, 10 minutes. Top with the tofu in a single layer and drizzle with unagi sauce. Top with the shiitake, edamame, cheese and bean sprouts and season with salt. Sprinkle with togarashi and sesame seeds.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake on the top shelf for 15 minutes, until the top is golden. Slide the pizza onto a platter; top with the bonito, shiso and cilantro and serve.
Notes: Sweet-salty unagi sauce is available at Japanese markets.
Recipe Credit: Grant Achatz
Image Credit: Christina Holmes