Italian Sausage and Tomato Risotto with Parmesan Cheese
Who says risotto is just for winter? This dish gets lots of flavor from Italian sausage and sweet tomatoes. Finish it off with parmesan cheese for a salty bite!
- 12 Ounce Italian sausages
- 1 onion
- 0.75 cup Arborio rice
- 5 Ounce spinach
- 1 chicken stock concentrate
- 1 Can diced tomatoes
- 0.25 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Peel, halve and finely chop the onion. Coarsely chop the spinach. Remove the sausage from its casing.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil with the diced tomatoes and stock concentrate. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pot over medium heat Add the sausage and onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, breaking up the sausage as it cooks. Add the rice and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a minute until the rice is translucent. If you happen to have some white wine handy, feel free to add ¼ cup at this point. Let it bubble away until absorbed. Otherwise, begin adding the stock and tomatoes ½ cup at a time.
- Stir the risotto with a spoon until the rice absorbs the stock. Then, add another ½ cup. Repeat adding the stock and stirring until the rice is almost al dente, about 18 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Add half the parmesan cheese and spinach to the pot and stir until the spinach is incorporated. Let the spinach wilt. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Finish: Serve the risotto in bowls and top with the remaining parmesan cheese. Enjoy immediately!