Italian Sausage and Tomato Risotto with Parmesan Cheese
Serving Size: 2
Who says risotto is just for winter? This dish gets lots of flavor from Italian sausage and sweet tomatoes. Finish it off with parmesan cheese for a salty bite!
- 12 Ounce Italian sausages
- 1 onion
- 0.75 cup Arborio rice
- 5 Ounce spinach
- 1 chicken stock concentrate
- 1 Can diced tomatoes
- 0.25 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Peel, halve and finely chop the onion. Coarsely chop the spinach. Remove the sausage from its casing.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil with the diced tomatoes and stock concentrate. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pot over medium heat Add the sausage and onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, breaking up the sausage as it cooks. Add the rice and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a minute until the rice is translucent. If you happen to have some white wine handy, feel free to add ¼ cup at this point. Let it bubble away until absorbed. Otherwise, begin adding the stock and tomatoes ½ cup at a time.
- Stir the risotto with a spoon until the rice absorbs the stock. Then, add another ½ cup. Repeat adding the stock and stirring until the rice is almost al dente, about 18 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Add half the parmesan cheese and spinach to the pot and stir until the spinach is incorporated. Let the spinach wilt. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Finish: Serve the risotto in bowls and top with the remaining parmesan cheese. Enjoy immediately!