Indian-Spiced Roasted Potatoes
One of our favorite summer meals is tandoori chicken cooked on a charcoal grill. Using a charcoal grill takes quite a bit more work than a gas grill, but the smoky flavor is completely worth it.
Instead of serving regular potato salad on the side, these roasted potatoes (which are delicious served hot, warm, or at room temperature) make the perfect side dish for an Indian-themed barbeque with tandoori chicken.
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 0.5 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 0.75 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp black pepper
- 0.25 tsp tumeric
- 2 Pound potatoes (any variety you like; I used a mix), washed and cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly crush the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and red pepper flakes in a mortar and pestle. Toss together the mustard seed mixture, salt, black pepper, turmeric, potato, onion, and olive oil in a large bowl, then spread out on a half sheet pan.
- Bake until the potatoes are slightly crispy on the outside and tender inside and the onion is slightly caramelized, about 40 minutes, tossing the mixture every 15 minutes or so.
- Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Read more from An Edible Mosaic.