Iceberg Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
Serving Size: 6
- 3 cup 1-inch-cubed crusty white bread
- 0.5 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 0.25 Pound blue cheese, preferably Maytag crumbled (3/4 cup)
- cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1.5 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 0.75 Pound sliced bacon
- 0.5 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a baking sheet, toss the bread cubes with 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil and toast for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the bread is golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat, turning once, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels and crumble.
- In a small bowl, using the back of a spoon, mash the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt. Whisk in the mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar and mustard. Gradually whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and season with salt and cayenne. Stir in the blue cheese.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce, onion, celery, bacon and croutons with the dressing and serve right away.
Make Ahead: The bacon and dressing can be refrigerated separately overnight. The croutons can be stored overnight in an airtight container.
Recipe Credit: Donald Link
Image Credit: Quentin Bacon