Top Chef winner Kristen Kish cooks the honey to give it a deeper flavor; it’s key in her fantastic custard, which she serves in jars topped with fresh fruit.
- 0.33 cup mild honey, such as clover, plus more for serving
- 0.75 tsp unflavored gelatin, softened in 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1.5 cup milk
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- raspberries and sea salt, for serving
- In a saucepan, cook the 1/3 cup of honey over moderately low heat for 2 minutes. Add the heavy cream, milk, thyme and vanilla bean and seeds and simmer over low heat for 4 minutes. Discard the thyme and vanilla bean.
- In a heatproof bowl, whisk the egg yolks, cornstarch and sugar. Gradually whisk in the hot honey milk. Return to the saucepan; whisk over moderate heat until thickened and bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes. Off the heat, whisk in the softened gelatin. Strain into 4 small jars and refrigerate until chilled, 1 hour. Serve with berries, honey and a sprinkling of sea salt.
Recipe Credit: Kristen Kish
Image Credit: Tara Fisher