Healthified Cowboy Turkey Burgers & Ranch Slaw
These aren't your average turkey burgers. They have a spicy kick that could cause a grown cowboy to kick his spurs up and do a jig!
We're talkin' 1/4 lb. patties that are comprised of extra lean ground turkey that is full of 'yee-haw'ing good things such as onion, cilantro, bacon, hot sauce, jalapeño and even sharp cheddar! Top it all off with a homemade creamy cool ranch slaw and you've quite literally got a meal on a bun!
- 1.25 Pound extra lean ground turkey breast
- 2.5 Ounce sharp cheddar, crumbled or diced into small cubes
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 - 2 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce (Tabasco)
- 2 Tbsp bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 0.67 cup carrot, grated
- Combine the burger ingredients together with clean hands until well blended and form into five equally sized patties. I like to make my patties ahead of time and keep them on a plate in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap, until I'm ready to grill. This allows the flavors to meld and for the meat to rest a bit after being mashed around. Set the patties out about 10-15 minutes prior to grilling.
- 0.125 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dry ranch seasoning
- 0.5 Tbsp light mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp fat-free milk
- 1.5 cup rainbow slaw mix
- In the mean time, you can prepare your slaw. Whisk together the milk, yogurt, mayo, and seasoning. Add in the vinegar and allow to sit for 5 minutes before whisking the mixture again and tossing with the slaw. This can be made ahead of time as well and left covered in the fridge until ready to top burgers.
- Grill your burgers with your method of choice until cooked through. Ground turkey should reach an internal temperature of 180 degrees F. I generally use my indoor counter top grill, but today I had the grill master at my disposal and put him to good use.
- Once the burgers are cooked, top each with 1/4 c. slaw and enjoy!
Servings Size: Burger + 1/4 C. Slaw (Bun not included.)
For the full post, visit The Skinny Fork.