Harvest Cake with Grapes and Sangiovese Syrup
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Quart unsweetened grape juice
- 2 cup seedless red grapes
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- finely grated zest of 1 small orange
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 0.25 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 0.33 cup milk
- 0.67 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg
- 0.75 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan. In a small bowl, whisk the flour with the salt and baking powder. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the granulated sugar until pale yellow. Whisk in the milk, olive oil, melted butter, lemon zest, orange zest and vanilla. Fold in the flour mixture, followed by 1 1/2 cups of the grapes. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
2. Bake the cake for 15 minutes. Dot the top of the cake with the remaining 1/2 cup of grapes and bake for about 40 minutes longer, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack, carefully remove the ring and let cool to room temperature.
3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, boil the grape juice over high heat until reduced to 1 cup, about 25 minutes. Let the grape syrup cool to room temperature.
4. Remove the cake from the base and transfer to a serving platter. Dust the top with confectioners' sugar. Cut the cake into wedges and serve, passing the grape syrup at the table.