Harissa Chicken with Green Chile and Tomato Salad
- 2 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 0.5 Pound grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 mild green chiles, such as Italian frying peppers
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, lightly pounded
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plust more for brushing
- 2 tsp ground caraway
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 chipotel in adobo, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 0.5 cup chopped cilantro
1. In a mortar, combine the paprika, chipotle, adobo sauce, garlic, cumin, caraway and olive oil and pound until a paste forms. Season with salt and pepper. Spread half of the harissa all over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
2. Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the chiles over moderately high heat until charred all over. Place the chiles in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 10 minutes. Peel, seed and stem the chiles, then cut them into 1/2-inch pieces.
3. Transfer the chiles to a bowl and add the onion, tomatoes, cilantro and 1 tablespoon of the harissa. Season the salad with salt and pepper and let stand for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, brush the chicken with oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning, until cooked through, 9 minutes. Serve the chicken with the salad and remaining harissa.