Hanger Steak with Herb-Nut Salsa
- 0.25 cup hazelnut
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 0.75 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tsp chopped rinsed capers
- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 tsp minced chervil
- 2 tsp minced tarragon
- 0.25 cup snipped chives
- 0.5 cup mincd flat-leaf parsley
- 2 hanger steaks
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Toast the hazelnuts in a pie plate for 12 minutes, or until the skins are blistered. Transfer the nuts to a kitchen towel; let cool slightly, then rub off the skins. Finely chop the nuts and transfer them to a bowl. Add the parsley, chives, tarragon, chervil, anchovies, capers and shallot. Stir in the vinegar and the 3/4 cup of oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the steaks with oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, about 12 minutes for medium-rare meat. Let rest for 5 minutes. Slice the meat across the grain and serve with the salsa.