Half Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
- 3 cup shredded zucchini (for me, this was one large one)
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 cup whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 0.67 cup vegetable oil
- 1.67 cup granulated sugar
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard loaf pan (9×5 inch).
- Crack the eggs into a liquid measurement cup and lightly beat with a fork. Then, in a mixing bowl, stir the zucchini, sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs together.
- Add the flours, baking soda, salt, spices and baking powder at the same time, and fold into the zucchini mixture. Try to use big stirs that cover a lot of ground – you don’t want to overwork this dough, just like you wouldn’t want to overwork muffins. Mix until everything is just incorporated.
- Pour into the greased baking pan and bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Because all ovens are not created equal, start keeping an eye on it at about an hour. If the top looks set, start testing with a chopstick at about 1:10:00.
- Remove from the oven when a chopstick tester comes out clean. Allow to cool for ten minutes or so, then turn out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Adapted from Betty Crocker. Read more from PDXFoodLove.