Grilled Vegetable Sandwich
I was lucky enough to recently receive an assortment of breads from Cobblestone Bread Co., and I knew just what I wanted to make my first "summer sandwich" with.
These mini grinder rolls are perfect for grilled sandwiches - they're sturdy enough to hold up to a run over the grill, as well as a pile of toppings. And they're sized just right for an individual serving, so I can pull out as many or few as I need.
You can follow the recipe below, but feel free to use it more as a guideline - it's summer after all; who wants rules?
- 1 yellow squash, trimmed and sliced lengthwise into 3-4 thick slices
- 1 red onion, ends trimmed and cut into 3-4 thick "rings" (see note below for grilling onions)
- 1 orange pepper, trimmed, halved, seeds and ribs removed
- fresh mozzarella, sliced
- fresh basil, cut in "chiffonade"
- red leaf lettuce leaf
- 2 Cobblestone Bread Co. Wheat Grinder Rolls
- extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat grill; line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil. Place vegetables on your prepared baking sheet; brush both sides with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Grill vegetables, turning occasionally, till tender and charred - about 5-7 minutes for the squash, 8-10 minutes for the pepper and 12-15 minutes for the onion rings. Return vegetables to your baking sheet.
- While veggies are grilling slice the rolls in half; brush each half with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place, cut sides down, on the grill - remove when golden brown.
- Assemble your sandwiches: place a lettuce leaf on one half of each roll, followed by the mozzarella slices, veggies and basil. Top with the remaining halves of the rolls and serve.
Note: to grill onions without the rings falling through the grates, skewer the "rings" as shown, using metal or wooden skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak in water for a bit to prevent them from scorching on the grill).
For the full post, visit Donuts, Dresses and Dirt.
This is a collaboration between Cobblestone Bread Co. and the AOL Lifestyle Contributor Network. Compensation was provided by Cobblestone Bread Co. via AOL Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Cobblestone Bread Co.