Grilled Vegetable Panini
This sandwich makes a quick and healthy dinner. You could use a panini or even a baguette to make the sandwich. But I personally prefer the panini bread as it is soft and becomes crisp only after the grilling process. Try this super delicious panini sandwich for a weeknight dinner. If you are conscious about the fat in cheese, you could omit the cheese and just serve it without it. It will taste just as good.
- 3 panini breads, sliced half lengthwise
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 small red onion, cut into onion rings
- mozzarella cheese, drained, sliced
- 0.5 cup basil pesto
- tabasco sauce (optional for spice)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- To begin making the grilled vegetable panini sandwich, you will first have to either roast or grill the vegetables. I most often for the quickness, I end up roasting the vegetables in a wok, but you could choose to grill them in your grill pan or your oven. When you grill make sure you had season the vegetabels with some salt.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok, add in the red bell peppers and a pinch of salt. Cover the pan and stir fry on medium heat until the bell peppers are roasted and have softened. Once done, remove the pepper from the wok and keep them aside.
- In the same wok, add a teaspoon of olive oil and add in the sliced zucchini's. Sprinkle some salt and stir fry on high heat until it is lightly tender and roasted. It will also get grilled along with the Panini, so its ok for them to be a little firm. Keep them aside.
- Cool the roasted red pepper and zucchini completely.
- Slice the Panini's into half. Place them on a working surface.
- Spread the Basil pesto on both the sides. Working with the bottom slice, stack the slices of zucchini, roasted peppers, onions, tomatoes, sprinkle salt and pepper, optionally tabsaco sauce and finally the cheese. Place top half of panini bread on top.
- Press the bread down with the palm of your hand. Continue the same way with the remaining Panini breads.
- At this stage, you could choose to wrap the sandwiches in a wrap and refrigerate and grilled them as and when required or have them chilled for a picnic.
- If you plan to grill the roasted vegetable panini, then heat a cast iron grill pan and grease it with olive oil.
- Brush the top of the sandwiches panini's also with some oil or butter. Place the buttered side down on the heated grill pan and using a press or a flat spatula, press down the sandwich to get neat sear marks on the sandwich.
- After a minute, flip the sandwich and grill the other side the similar way. Proceed the same way of grilling the Panini's the similar way and the Grilled Vegetable Panini Sandwich will be ready to be served for a weeknight dinner along with Salad.
For the full post, visit Archana's Kitchen.