Grilled Tofu Steaks with Piquillo Salsa Verde
- 8 jarred piquillo peppers drained, rinsed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 18 Ounce firm tofu, drained and sliced into 8 rectangles
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of cayenne
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 Tbsp capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices of ciabatta
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a medium bowl, mix the piquillo pepper strips with the chopped capers, chopped parsley, minced shallot, sherry vinegar, ground cumin, cayenne and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the piquillo salsa verde with salt and pepper.
- Pat the tofu slices dry with paper towels. Brush the tofu and bread on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the bread over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred, about 2 minutes. Grill the tofu, turning once, until grill marks form and the tofu is heated through, about 6 minutes. Transfer the grilled bread and tofu pieces to plates. Spoon the piquillo salsa verde over the tofu and serve.
Recipe courtsey of Melissa Rubel Jacobson.
Image Credit: Stephanie Foley