Grilled Tandoori-Style Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 8 4-ounce skinless chicken drumsticks, trimmed of excess fat
- 0.5 tsp Kashmiri chile powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1.5 tsp garam masala, see note
- 1 Tbsp mustard seed
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 0.5 tsp chaat masala, see Note
- In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt with the ginger, garlic, lemon juice, mustard seeds, garam masala, kosher salt and chile powder. Using a small, sharp knife, make shallow 1-inch slashes in the chicken. Add the chicken to the marinade and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Light a grill, heat a grill pan or preheat the oven to 450°. Remove the chicken legs from the marinade, wiping off all but a thin layer. Grill the chicken legs over moderate heat, turning occasionally until browned and cooked through, 30 minutes. Alternatively, roast the chicken legs on an oiled baking sheet for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through. Transfer the chicken legs to plates, sprinkle with the chaat masala and serve.
NOTES: Garam masala and chaat masala are spice blends that are available from Indian markets or kalustyans.com. Garam masala, which contains sweet spices like cinnamon and clove, is also available at some supermarkets.
SERVE WITH: Sliced red onion, lemon wedges and naan.