Grilled Steaks with Onion Sauce and Onion Relish
- 2 Tbsp cracked black pepper
- 0.25 cup oil-cured Moroccan olive, pitted and chopped
- 0.5 cup drained cocktail onion, coarsely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dry red wine
- 2 pickled jalapeño, seeded
- 1 Pound red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 12-ounce rib eye steaks, about 3/4 inch thick
- 0.25 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Asian fish sauce
- 2 dry bay leaves, crumbled
- 0.25 cup torn mint leaf
- In a large, shallow dish, combine the cracked pepper with the bay leaves, fish sauce and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the steaks to the dish and rub all over with the mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours or refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onions and jalapeños and cook over moderate heat until the onions are just softened, 5 minutes. Add the wine and 1 tablespoon of the vinegar and season with salt and ground pepper. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the onions are very tender, 40 minutes.
- Uncover the onions and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes. Transfer the onions to a blender. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of vinegar and puree until very smooth. Season with salt and ground pepper.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cocktail onions, olives and mint leaves with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Preheat a grill pan or light a grill. Grill the steaks over moderate heat, turning once or twice, until lightly charred, about 7 minutes for medium-rare meat. Let the steaks rest for 5 minutes, then serve with the onion sauce and pickled onion relish.