Grilled Steak Tacos with Avocado Salsa
- 3 jalapeño peppers
- 0.5 Pound queso panela or halloumi cheese, cut into squares
- 2 links of fresh chorizo
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 0.5 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Hass avocado, diced
- 1 Pound tomatillos - husked and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large onion - half cut into 1/2-inch dice, half sliced 1/4 inch thick
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1 1/2 pound flank steak
1. Heat a grill pan. Grill the jalapeños until charred. Stem and seed the jalapeños; finely dice 2 of them. Thinly slice the remaining jalapeño and reserve on a platter.
2. In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the diced jalapeños and onion and the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden, 10 minutes. Add the tomatillos and cook until softened. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Stir in the avocado, cilantro and lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
3. Oil the chorizo and grill over moderate heat until cooked through. Remove the chorizo casing and crumble the meat into a bowl. Lightly oil the cheese and grill for 1 minute per side, then oil the pan and grill the sliced onion until charred; transfer both to the platter.
4. Oil the steak; season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, 8 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to a board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak and serve with the accompaniments.