Grilled Squid and Green Tomato Salad with a Sesame-Lime Dressing
Grilled squid and green tomatoes are paired together in this wonderful, flavorful salad, which gets a final addition of a fantastic sesame-lime dressing.
- 1.5 Tbsp pure sesame oil
- 1 fennel bulb, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
- 0.5 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Pound unripe green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick and quartered
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 0.5 tsp honey or agave
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Pound cleaned whole squid, bodies and tentacles separated
- 3 tsp lime juice
- 0.5 bunch parsley, coarsely chopped
- In a small bowl, combine a tablespoon of the sesame oil and a teaspoon of the lime juice. Add the squid and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, whisk together remaining sesame oil and lime juice, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, honey, mayonnaise and garlic. Add the sliced tomatoes, red onions, and fennel to the bowl. Give the salad a light toss to coat and set aside.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Season squid with salt and pepper and grill the squid over high heat until they are slightly charred and tender, about 1 minute per side. Transfer the squid bodies to a cutting board, slice into slender rings and keep the tentacles intact. Add calamari pieces to the salad bowl and toss to combine. Add some freshly chopped parsley, season with salt, and serve warm or cold.
Recipe Credit: Sarah Bolla
Image Credit: Sarah Bolla