Grilled Sardines with Herbed Fennel-and-Olive Salad
Sardines are a great fish to grill: they cook quickly, and because they're oily, they're harder to overcook than delicate white fish. Here, they're topped with a crisp and tangy herb-and-olive salad that complements the rich fish.
- 12 large fresh sardines, cleaned
- 0.25 cup chopped pitted oil-cured olives
- 0.5 cup snipped chives
- 0.5 cup tarragon leaf
- 1 cup parsley leaf
- 0.5 medium fennel bulb, halved, cored and very thinly sliced lengthwise
- kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan and brush with olive oil. Brush the sardines with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred outside and just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the grilled sardines to a platter.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced fennel with the parsley, tarragon, chives, chopped olives, lemon juice and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pile the fennel-and-olive salad on the grilled sardines and serve right away.
Recipe Credit: Charlie Hallowell
Image Credit: Christina Holmes